market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Southern growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Southern growing
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:09:32 -0700

RE: cool season crops growing in Southern summer climates:

Here in N. Mississippi (zone 7b) I have nicely sized mustard greens growing.
A friend plants his collards (by seed) on July 4th -and I have seen his
harvest in late summer/ early fall, and those collards are big & gorgeous!
(I wouldn't have believed him except I ate them myself!)
Rhubarb chard and Bright Lights chards that I planted in late spring (this
time with plugs) are big and beautiful right now (June 20) and so is the
kale (red russian).

Cilantro has bolted by now, as has the dill (both were seeded last fall).
Calendula should be seeded in late summer for beautiful fall flowers that
last here until about December. They get yucky if planted in spring for
summer harvest.
nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7b