market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] SOILS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Guthrie" <dguthrie AT egyptian.net>
  • To: <bockpa AT plesh.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] SOILS
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:31:51 -0500

Hello Paul:

I have both books and have attended Gary Zimmer and Neal Kinsey's shorter
seminars at the Acres conference. I have the Albrecht papers and am slowly
making my way through them. I am fairly sold on the idea of "feed the soil
to feed the plant" and am a general fan of Albrecht's. Nonetheless I
haven't used Kinsey's lab yet (which I will do at some point). I'm not sure
which direction we will go with our farm (crops or graze or both or even
neither). I also have read and visited with Dr. Dan Skow re brix content of
plants as a means of determining what others do by soil samples. I like
Albrecht's thesis that examines common humus and then attempts to balance
soils to that standard. I have found a bit of (how shall I say) "spiritist"
information/theory from Dan Skow a la Dr. Carey Reams. Kinsey lives about
1.5 hours south of me and has proved his work on the midwestern soils of
southern Illinois (where I am) and southern and central MO.

All told it's very interesting stuff (imo) and will form the basis for what
we follow at our place.

I would be interested in discussion of this/these subject(s) as well

David Guthrie
dguthrie AT egyptian.net

P.S. Isn't there an Albrecht list on yahoo?