market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Salad spinner

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nicole <nbrown AT bbtel.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Salad spinner
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:44:15 -0400

Recently heard something on the radio on bacteria in washing machines.
Stored it in the irrelevant section of my memory until this post. I hope
will not do it when you get to marketing your greens.<<

Right, which is why I mentioned cleaning the machine thoroughly.

I use cloth diapers (that's a reason right there not to wash foodstuff in the regular machine!), was on a cloth diaper email list for a while, and some folks were having problems with a particular diaper leaking - turns out the problem was this "gunk" that builds up inside the machine, but outside of the spinner tub where you can't see it. Detailed instructions were given on how to thoroughly clean the machine.

Personally, if I were to use a washing machine for cleaning salad greens on a commercial level, I would have a dedicated machine, and it certainly would be cleaned and bacteria-free (or brand new).

Nicole in KY

  • [Market-farming] Re: Salad spinner, Nicole, 06/18/2003