market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] straw mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "askpv" <askpv AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] straw mulch
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:04:32 +1000

yes, be careful not to get lucerne,
i have bought lucerne that was spoiled (got wet and so not suitable for feed)
this is cheaper than straw (per kilo because straw is very light and airy)
it is also best for the environment because it uses a resource normally discarded.
If you happen to buy lucerne you need to allow time to let the seed germinate then simply roll that bales over and you'll kill off the seed
and have even more bulk.
be careful not to let active seeds into the planting area because lucerne can grow very deep.
April
Permaculture Visions International.
  • Students and graduates in over 20 countries
    (Africa, Argentina, Australia - every state, Brazil, Canada-BC,ON, France, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Jerusalem, Japan, NZ, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of South Africa, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Tonga, UK,
    USA. -Alaska, CA, FL, KS, IA, IL, IN, TN, MT, NM, OR, PA, SD, TX,VT, WA,WI,)
  • Exclusive Student and Graduate Mailing list
  • Commercial and Private Permaculture System Design