market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:24:29 -0700

Marlin! Thanks for making me laugh on this dreary wet day! You know, you
could get away with it if you included a few rocks in with a few potatoes
and blame it on packing boxes in the dark!

<I've been thinking for a long time of sneaking about ten lbs of rocks (we
<have an abundance here) into the share boxes during one of the early weeks
<of the season when most of the contents are fluffy stuff. I can imagine
<myself sitting at the pickup site with an idiot (smug) grin on my face as
my
<members pick up their boxes with their comments "Oh the boxes are heavy
this
<week!" Only trouble is I can't get my wife to go along with the idea. :>)

I guess I'm faring better than some of the CSAs from some of the latest
postings. Some of this I'm sure is due to different planting zones (I'm in
7, 50 miles north of the NC line in VA). But I'm on week 5 of my CSA and
other than having very few flowers (I usually give a bouquet every other
week- this year there's only been 2 and 1 was really small) and I've had
plenty of stuff to give- lettuce mix, spinach, scallions, snowpeas,
broccoli, collards, beets, and more. BUT I have very little in the way of
summer crops in due to the wetness. I suspect I'll have little to deliver
come the end of this month.

I did get my tomatoes out between rains the last few days, peppers too and
seeded some squash. I do have a new 12x48ft hoophouse with tomatoes, squash,
cukes, peppers, eggplant, and a few basil that are doing well. But I have
much land that needs a light discing before I can pull rows in it and
prepare to plant. Even though there was no rain Monday, tuesday, and
yesterday until last night, it was still too wet to fool with. I have
learned my lesson about working soil too wet last year. Lots of stuff in the
greenhouse starting to look straggle-y.

I did have our first CSA farm event Sunday, and the members that showed up
on a dreary day saw firsthand how muddy it was. I think that'll help. BTW-
Marlin- they thought my salad spinner was clever- I told them I couldn't
take credit for your idea!

More on soggy soil, clods, and clay in my next post under a different
subject heading.
Amy K. Johnson
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA

  • [Market-farming] Re: Advice/nothing to harvest, Amy K. Johnson, 06/12/2003