market-farming - [Market-farming] Kiwi & raised bed weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lori Barringer" <gene AT cameron.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Kiwi & raised bed weeds
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:56:32 -0500

My husband is about to build some 4' x 8' beds for me out of landscape
timbers for starting perennials & hostas. Can anybody give me any
advice on how to keep the weeds down between the beds? Any other advice
on this subject? I would appreciate any pointers before we start.
Thanks.

Katherine

Dear Katherine - I waylaid the Asplundh tree trimmers (they work for our
power company) when they were in our area - they asked me several times
if I was sure I wanted the chipped trees - because they generate a LOT
of chips - I told them to bring them on - it saves them a trip to the
landfill and the "toll" - I got a pile of chips as high as my van, as
wide and long too. (two logs - firewood and a tiny bit of trash
included) and FREE!
We mulched all our garden paths - 6 inches deep and built a path 30 feet
long and 5 feet wide over to our berry patch and backup garden. (My
husband calls it Route 1. Bonus: I found morels growing at the edge of
the path!

I planted hardy kiwi - 1 male, 1 female - our university guys told me
that their experimental patch always had winter damage here is MO. - so
I wrapped it in hay and burlap when it got really cold and so far so
good. But I didn't realize it took 4 years to mature - Thanks! To our
Phoenix grower - "regular Kiwi" grew in Georgia - they had a u-pick
operation there and we would go and pick bucketfuls! They grew them on
arbors and we would just walk under and pick our hearts out - those keep
for a long time!

Lori B in Turney MO

"Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon,
there is always someone to tell you you are wrong. There are always
difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are
right. To map out a course of action and follow it to the end, requires
some of the same courage which a soldier needs."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson