market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: beds for growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "linda&neilkerr" <linda-neil.kerr AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: beds for growing
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:02:38 +1200

>My husband is about to build some 4' x 8' beds for >me out of landscape
>timbers for starting >perennials & hostas. Can anybody give me any >advice
>on how to keep the weeds down between >the beds? Any other advice on this
>subject? I >would appreciate any pointers before we start. >Thanks

Hi Katherine,
our first gardens were also raised beds framed with timber. My husband made
the widths between the beds just wide enough to mow with the lawnmower, this
makes keeping the weeds down quite easy, so you could actually sow lawn grass
or white clover between the beds when you are finished building them. BTW the
timber does make excellent slug/snail 'hotels'...

kind regards,
Linda Kerr
Woody Hollow Organic Gardens
Nuhaka