market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Thermal weed control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Thermal weed control
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:38:21 -0500

On Thursday 05 June 2003 09:38, Steve Diver wrote:
It seems like a good fit, to control emerging weeds with flame, infra-red, or
steam heat as an alternative to cultivation and herbicides.

The above was from your link. I am exploring thermal weed control right now.
could easily do a cheap flame weeding setup to control the musk thistle in my
200 acre pasture here. They are what draws the County Roadside Manager who
can threaten to spray the whole place. I also want to get the whole farm (287
acres) chemical-free.

I was looking at industrial steam vapor cleaners and hot water power washers.
Would the vapor have enough power to kill the stem and rhizomes (for Canadian
thistles), or would a power washer have enough power to inject hot water or
steam into the stem ? What method would be more time efficient?

I could put the whole thing on a wagon with a large water tank and a
generator, if need be.

The musk thistle generates only from seed. Canadians, of course, use seed and
rhizome to spread. Bull thistles I leave alone for the goldfinch. I have a
soft spot in my heart for the state bird of Iowa (and the bull thistle).

--
Art Petrzelka
2966 126th Street