market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onions?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onions?
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:48:37 -0400

We have not grown onions before. So my question is when the tops
> > start to fall over how long do you have to wait before you can dig them?
> > Also after they are dug how long should they dry before cutting the tops
> > and

Sweet onions, like vidalia, granex etc. do not need curing. Just pull
and cut the tops. Sweet onions do not store well, the best you will get
is 3 months in refrigeration.

Storage onions (yellow and reds), on the other hand do need curing
before storage. When the tops start falling over knock the rest down
with a rake or your feet and let them sit in the field for a couple of
days. at that point we pull them, knock as much dirt as we can off and
than put them on drying racks (lengths of 2"x2" fencing hung up like a
hammock in an old corn crib) they need to be out of direct sunlight in
an airy spot that can keep them dry for the curing period of 2 to 4
weeks (depending humidity, etc.). cure them with tops on until the tops
are dry all the way down to the bulb. pull or cut the tops and store in
a cool dry dark place in a vented bin or string bags. If done right
these onions will last 11 to 13 months.

We grow long day and day neutral onions as we are too far north for
short day and grow both sweets (ailsa craig, candy and Walla Wallas
which we sell as Boulder Belt Sweets because it is not legal to sell
walla Walla onions as Walla Walla's unless you live in the Walla Walla
area AND are a member in good standing of the Walla Walla Onion grower's
Assoc.) and storage (copra, frontier, Mars)

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste