market-farming - [Market-farming] Clopyralid gets expanded label

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Clopyralid gets expanded label
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 21:31:46 -0400

The herbicide clopyralid marketed as "Stinger", has just been labeled in a
few vegetable crops with more to follow in the coming year. For now it can be
used in sweetcorn beets mustard greens turnips and spinach. the whole cole
crop family will be added next year. Its popularity is due to the fact that
its most effective in eradicating canada thistle, we found that applying as
little as three tablespoons per acre once in the spring and again in the fall
you can completely eliminate thistle in one growing season.
At our monthly vegetable grower meeting I asked if this is the same
clopyralid that mucked up the compost so many folks have been using?
They said yes. It had been labeled in turf and used on golf courses, school
yards power company right of ways and in suburbia by commercial landscapers
none of whom minded the $500 a gallon price tag.

I was told the company will remove the turf label! Chemical companies don't
like to acknowledge these things but I think its in response to the out cry
of organic gardeners and towns looking to unload all their compost.

Labeled crops would not be harmed by the compost, clopyralid kills composite
plants and legumes...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

  • [Market-farming] Clopyralid gets expanded label, sunnfarm, 05/06/2003