market-farming - [Market-farming] taxing me to death!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] taxing me to death!
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:57:58 -0700

I just have to vent a little frustration here and maybe some of you
Virginians can tell me something useful, or just commiserate. I grow on 1
and 1/2 acres (so far, 45 acres of land ) and have a lot of trouble with
folks not taking me seriously- from some local extension agents, area
farmers, and some other folks- like the lady at church who always asks
"how's your little garden doing?"

But noo------- not the VA department of Taxation! Sales tax and even income
tax I can live with, but when it comes to Litter Tax they consider me a
"manufacturer of food" $25 down the drain annually. Then there's business
personal property tax where a 27hp Kubota qualifies as heavy construction
equipment! $302.33 last year. Apparently being a farmer makes no difference
to them, yet I know other farmers who aren't hit with these taxes.

Well, gotta head back out to the factory and manufacture some more lettuce!
Amy K. Johnson
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA

  • [Market-farming] taxing me to death!, Amy K. Johnson, 04/30/2003