market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re:squash vine borer & treated seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michaele blakely <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re:squash vine borer & treated seed
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 10:25:47 -0800

That is not correct, you may NEVER use untreated seed. Previously one could use non-organic seed if a search for organic seed found the seed too expensive or the variety was not available in organic form. However since the Georgia chicken people got non organic feed allowed (for the time being anyway) because it is too expensive, the powers to be are looking at the justification as too expensive and lack of variety availability for seed purchases more closely.

Michaele Blakely
Growing Things
Carnation Wa

Miranda Smith wrote:

Try planting a circle of radish seeds around every planting of
squash --either it's worked for me or the borers were decreasing in
numbers anyway.

My understanding about treated vs untreated seed is that you can use
treated seed as long as you document a search for untreated seed of
that cultivar. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Miranda Smith