market-farming - [Market-farming] herbicide in compost based soil mix?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] herbicide in compost based soil mix?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:00:16 -0800

Dear List,

I know herbicide residues in compost has been discussed here in the past,
and I'm wondering now if I'm encountering this problem. I've been using a
locally made, compost based soil mix for seed starting for the last 2 years.
It has always worked great for me in the past, but now I'm having trouble
with germination, mainly in lettuce. I've done germination tests and the
seed is fine. Then I've bought a different type of soil mix and planted two
flats with 5 varieties of lettuce each, with the only diferences being what
soil was used and there is definately a diference. Other types of seed don't
seem to be having a problem with the mix though.

Anybody know if lettuce is more sensitive than other seeds to herbicide
residues or other contaminants?
Also, where would one send a sample of this mix, to be tested for residues?
I suspect residues may have come from the leaves that form a big part of
this fellow's composting proccess. He gets the local leaves from the town's
residents that are vacuumed up by the town works dept.
I love this mix normally, and there is no poor germination of any other
seeds in it except maybe some phlox seed. Tomatoes, celery, yarrow and other
flower seeds have done fine in it.

Any insights?

Amy K. Johnson
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA

  • [Market-farming] herbicide in compost based soil mix?, Amy K. Johnson, 03/21/2003