market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Mulches, O.M. incorporation and building soil O.M.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Mulches, O.M. incorporation and building soil O.M.
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:46:43 -0600

Rick W. wrote:

It was only recently that I am finding that for the most part, mulches are
not effective in doing this, especially when on the surface. From what I am
understanding, the main determinant of building soil O.M. is from actually
plants that produce roots that then die and become incorporated as O.M.

Rick and others,

There are many studies showing that grazing cool season grasses restores
organic matter faster than any method. This includes incorporating compost.

Unfortunately in most cultivated soil more organic matter is lost than can
be replaced in one season. Copious amounts of applied N in any form can
cause a loss of organic matter as well as just having bare ground.

This is why I feel it is important for ruminant livestock and crop
production to be integrated in the same system. Crop rotations should
include periodic grazing rotations to restore nutrients and organic matter.

Rick H.