market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Spinner

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Spinner
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:45:38 -0800

I think I posted something along this line about a year ago.  For those of you who missed it or may have forgotten, here it is again.  You can make a very inexpensive non electric salad spinner which is powered by gravity and a little bit of elbow grease.  It has about the same capacity as the over $200 model from Johnnys.

Go to a store that sells the type of junk that can be bought at Wal Mart (any will do if it is not a Wal Mart :>). and pick up two of those cheap plastic laundry baskets that have a 1" square grid on the sides for about a dollar each.  Nest one inside the other so that you now have a 1/2" square grid on the sides.  Get three six foot long pieces of light weght braided nylon cord (or something similar) and tie one end of each piece at even spacing around the top of your two nested baskets making sure that you have them both securely tied together and the knots pulled tight.  Bring the other three ends together and tie them onto an S hook.  You now have something that resembles an elongated macrame plant pot holder.  Hang the thing on a nail banged into a rafter in your tool shed and you are ready to work.

Load the basket about 3/4 full of your washed salad mix and wind it up with your hand.  If you want to be really efficient, make two of them so you can wind one with each hand.  Then watch them spin down.  The momentum of the down spin will continue until it winds itself up about half way in the opposite direction, requiring little effort to complete the rewind.  Tip the basket to unload, spray it off with a water hose to clean it, and store it in a clean dry place until the next use.

Total cost is around $3.00-$3.50 in materials and about 15 minutes of your time per spinner, is so simple in concept and ease of operation as to be a crime, and it will not put your rotator cuff at risk. Happy spinning.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia