market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] For Del mathematical and substantive meaning of the right

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] For Del mathematical and substantive meaning of the right
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:16:32 -0600

Yes, correlations have that property. And that is why one never assumes the
direction of causality from a bivariate correlation.

In my line of money earning work... was it the donuts that management bought
that caused the employees to work harder OR was it the employees working
harder that caused management to buy donuts? Hmmm was there a coterminous
effect?

Me, I think, donuts. yuck. I want scrambled free range chicken eggs if you
love me and want more production out of me! I'm what you might call a
statistical outlier. In normal words, a "weirdo".

If you don't get it, imagine one of the largest healthcare organizations in
the U.S. trying to figure out how to retain their best trained nurses with
bivariate correlations relating general satisfaction to a host of other work
environment factors. That is what I do for a living... try to make sense of
the correlation matrix, putting it together in a higher order analysis...
and keep nurses from bailing on healthcare to the point where a hospital
system can't function. It is happening all over the US.

I have watched too many hospitals go belly up and nurses run out of
healthcare. I understand why. Special people, hard work, good money and a
system run amok.

It freaks me out. And that is not the issue of this list but it keeps me
awake at night.

That is what I do. For money.

Farming... I just love it.

I'd rather correlate amendments with production outcomes.

You know. An analysis with regression equations that help you see the
relative contributions of temperature, fertilization, irrigation schedules,
seed features, rainfall, propagation techniques, soil warming, and the
contributions of the almighty sun. And knowing it is still based on the
correlation and a lack of meaning on causality.

Now y'all know what kind of a geek I am.

I think that farmers who are aware, like so many CEOs of healthcare systems
I know, are more in the know than any statistical analysis. They just need
some numbers to go in and make their case to make their hospitals work.
It's all about nurturing life, isn't it?

Del Williams
Consultant

and a wannabe Farmer in the Del