market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Paper Mulches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Paper Mulches
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:55:54 -0600

Not only expensive, but now treated with a chlorine-based anti-microbial and
not usable for certified organic production. Also, last year, we got a new
roll (had been using the old one for 7 years!) and besides the
anti-microbial which keeps it from degrading as quickly as we'd like, it
SHRINKS!! To the tune of over 15%, which if you have your transplants
through holes in it means it covers them and kills them. We would not
recommend it even for conventional farmers.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm