market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Limiting vendors at the farmers market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Limiting vendors at the farmers market
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:20:21 -0600

I'll weigh in with my soapbox:

Our farmers' market doesn't allow anyone outside the COUNTY to sell, but
they do allow nearly unlimited buying wholesale and re-selling. Talk about
protectionism! Some of the pinhookers at our market set up over 5-6 parking
spaces - and don't farm at all. Rules? Of course, they say the seller must
grow MOST of what they sell - totally unenforceable -, and there is no
market manager (they don't want to actually PAY anyone who might upset their
applecart) so there is no enforcement. When they are approached with the
injustice of this, most members just turn their heads. Not a nice place to
market, but the only one we have. I think that limiting numbers of FARMERS
might sometimes be necessary because of physical limits on space, but the
economical realities of a long drive will effectively limit farmers from a
long ways away without impacting local food sales.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm