market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Informal market analysis...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Informal market analysis...
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:56:50 -0600

I'd like to reply to this from the perspective of the farmer selling those
bouquets (I've read all the other responses)

> ----------

We have been charging $3.50 for a nice size bouquet. Even our
customers have been telling us that is too cheap, so this year, I think, we
are going to $4.50, 3 for $12.00. The breaking point at our market seems to
be $5.00. I have seen really nice arrangements priced at $5.00 not sell
while our less expensive bouquets were "flying" out of the booth.

> 2. Do you prefer the look of a mass of one type of flower - say all
> sunflowers, or all delphiniums, or all black-eyed susans; or do you prefer
> mix?
Most of our customers prefer a mix, but we go with both made bouquets and
buckets of flowers, so we can "custom make" any kind of bouquet for a
customer and price accordingly

> 3. Would you stop at a roadside stand or farmers market for a bouquet?
We have flower customers that come to the farmers' market just for our
flowers - every week.

> 4. If you don't normally buy bouquets or a flower bunch, what about the
> bouquet would inspire you to pick it up? (Is there a particular quality
> or
> does it just have to grab you?)

Men seem to like to buy them for their "significant other". by the way, men
as a general rule like "hot" colors (red,orange,yellow), while women
gravitate toward cool (pink,lavender,blue).

> 5. If there is no scent to a bouquet are you disappointed? Enough to put
> it back? Does it figure in your purchase at all?
We always have a little scent as we use lemon basil as a filler - great
look, wonderful fragrance!

> 6. What are your three top cutflowers you love to see in a bouquet?
> (Regardless of whether they're homespun or highbrow).
People love zinnias, rudbeckia, sunflowers, lisianthus

> 7. What are your three least favorite cutflowers for a bouquet? Those
> flowers that don't even inspire you to stop at the stand.
They seem to buy whatever we have at the time!

> 8. How often would you buy bouquets during the growing season if the
> price
> was right and the bouquets were appealing?
Most of our customers buy every week - sometimes several bouquets. They
even come earlier than they would normally because they know we sell out
early/

> 9. Is a bouquet an impulse purchase for you or is it an item on your
> shopping list?

It seems to be on most womens' lists, but impulse for most (not all,
some are regulars) of the men.

> 10. How do you feel about the addition of herbs or woody ornamentals in a
> flower bouquet? For instance, a piece of crooked willow, or a sprig of
> newly opened maple; a fragrant oregano - offering a different texture than
> just flowers.

Whatever makes a bouquet different, special, seems to be a winner as long as
it stays fresh in the vase.