market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Consumer Spending

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: PATRICIASHERBS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Consumer Spending
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:39:56 EST

Thanks for the input everyone.
  Potted plants are a whole different game than providing food staple to the people. While edibles can bridge the gap  somewhat- of providing 'grow your own' possibilities.  Ornamentals feed the soul.   Which, we do need, but may not always be able to justify the cost of.
   My small business has only survived & grown because I do cater to a niche market.  Plus I do over 95% of my own propagating.  Which is high.  My  consumer jumpiness may be in part to seeing 2 well established, larger greenhouse/nurseries go out of business in the area.  Sure, there are lots of factors that could have been involved with them.   We are now looking at placing a bid with the foreclosure bank, for a substantial amount of nursery stock from the latest one.  Even really good deals can add up the dollar amounts.   Also, most of us probably have relatives or friends that have been laid off,  and know others who lost major chunks of savings in the stock market.   I'm sure across the country, it also has a lot to do with regional economies.

   I usually do a mix of pot sizes- 2 1/2" rose pots, 3 1/2", 4", 5",  1 & 2 gallons.   Simple rule:  The smaller the pot, the more I make per flat.  The more flats, the more I make.   Once the warm weather breaks, then the pot sizes all just add up sales.   General prices start at-
   2 1/2" @ $1.99 each x 36 per flat =$71.64     3 1/2" @ $2.49 each x 18 per flat = $44.82
Specialty plants can be double both of the above.   Then the catch is-  the smaller the pot, the much more labor intensive it is.   The larger pots are really appreciated in the heat of summer.  They on the most part, can just sit & grow until they find a new home.  Also perennial selling is much easier in bloom.

    So no one is planning now on changing much for 2003?
  My planned changes so far-  to do local wholesale again,  offer contractor's discounts, double my advertising budget, and improve my signage everywhere on everything.
   I'm pleased to hear from other plant & herb growers.  I hope we can keep these discussions on going.   What have you found to be the most successful  tool/promo on your mailing lists or web sites?    What are your pot prices?

Thanks-
Patricia Mattson
The Herb Garden
http://theherbgarden.biz

  • [Market-farming] Re: Consumer Spending, PATRICIASHERBS, 01/08/2003