market-farming - [Market-farming] Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Awards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Awards
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 07:24:33 -0700

Couple have a burning desire

KINGDOM CITY, Mo. - Julie and Mark Price of Kingdom City have been
surrounded by serrano, habanero, anaheim, jalapeno and other peppers for the
last five years.

They own and operate A Taste of the Kingdom, a business that creates, makes
and sells home-grown, all-natural gourmet chile pepper condiments.

They became aware of flavorful chilies while living in Singapore. Since
returning to the Midwest, Julie Price's mission has been to find and grow
quality chile peppers and produce value-added products. It has turned into
her full-time job.

They wanted to stay on the farm and took the route to adding value to what
could be grown. "I invested two years in product development and market
testing of our condiments before I considered our products sufficiently
superior to justify our commercial launch. Now, we are in our third
commercial year of selling," Julie said.

The Prices buy peppers from farmers.

They have received two grants from the Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration
Awards program and one value-added grant from the Missouri Agricultural and
Small Business Development Authority.

Funds from the first two grants were used to encourage Missouri farmers to
grow chile peppers and to identify markets.

The company purchased 7.5 tons of Missouri-grown chilies in 2001 and used
them as the basic ingredient for the company's condiments.

Growers want to provide chilies and others want to start growing for A Taste
of the Kingdom, she said. They are offered more chilies than they can use.
They want to develop viable alternate markets for farmers who raise peppers
to make chile peppers a sustainable crop for farmers.

The value-added grant gave the Prices money to hire Harry Kemker, an
agri-business management consultant, who is evaluating the extent of the
potential market for Missouri chile growers.

"With Harry here, we are conducting reliable research to see what is needed
to develop a sustainable buyer's market for Missouri chile peppers, as well
as conducting a feasibility study of warehouse, production equipment, and
distribution needs and costs," Julie Price said.

Kemker said the industry is known as the fiery food market, but it includes
mild products, such as some of the Price's condiments, which contain chile
flavor but little heat.

Typically, the industry produces products such as Tabasco, salsa, sauces,
condiments, and meat rubs. Currently, the global wholesale market is roughly
$2.5 billion per year, and the retail market is 50 to 60 percent greater
than that, Kemker said.

The Prices said that marketing and developing their product took patience.
They have attended countless trade shows and festivals and conducted
numerous in-store taste tests during the past five years.

"Taste-testing is critical," Mark Price said. "The products are a new form
of condiment designed to be used with cheese, beef, pork, seafood, game, and
poultry either directly, like a chutney, or as a glaze or baste. The market
must be educated in how to use the condiments in order for the public to buy
them. Plus, in our taste tests, we are constantly given useful feedback by
our customers on new applications, possible new products, and new recipes.
We gratefully listen to all of their comments and suggestions."

Julie blended different varieties of chile peppers to get products consumers
would recognize and to blend them with other varieties to complement one
another to get new flavors. "Always, several test runs are necessary before
I consider the product to be just right," she said.

A new product is Black Habit. It is a blend of blackberries, black walnuts,
and a touch of habanero. Taste tests sowed that onions were not needed to
allow other ingredients to have more flavor.

Part of the marketing work is to advise consumers in a variety of ways to
use the products.

Taste of the Kingdom can be found in stores in more than 20 states.

Their web site is www.tasteofkingdom.com.

  • [Market-farming] Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Awards, Kevin Ancell, 12/29/2002