market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Oyster Mushrooms (was Organic Rye)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ngabbard AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Oyster Mushrooms (was Organic Rye)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:26:14 EST

In a message dated 11/20/02 4:27:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, netdinrat AT yahoo.com writes:

grew oyster mushrooms on 8 inch plastic tubes stuffed with hay 8 foot leghts. strangest thing you ever saw 8 foot tall plastic trees gushing out mushrooms that i sold to the local restaurants and health food store for seven dollars a pound.

I would like to get more info on growing these mushrooms.  What kind of plastic tubes did you use and where did you get the spores (or whatever you call mushroom "seeds")?  I am wondering if this would work in my tobacco barn which is empty most of the time.

Thanks!
Nanci