market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] year around market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] year around market
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:48:23 -0600

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:36:59AM -0500, HackettShark AT aol.com wrote:
> Never received any comments back on having year around markets in the
> Midwest. Are there no opinions on the subject? We grow all year any more
> so
> why wouldn't it work pretty good to have a Farmers Market year around?

I wouldn't claim that you will have the same experience, but around
here, markets just die after July. We are having very nice weather
right now, so our (outdoor) markets are very comfortable especially
compared to the hell of our summer. Supply is low because no one
expects to have much demand. Three weeks of wet weather have ruined
what few tomatoes were coming, so there are no tomatoes other than
cherries. Markets that yielded $400-$600 in June and July are now
yielding ~$100. Advertising has had little impact. Customers tell
us that school, football, and hunting season are reasons for not
coming to the markets. Another explanation is that customers want
peaches and/or tomatoes and we have none of either now.

If you have good demand for greens, you might have success; around
here, you could starve growing lettuce and other greens. That is MY
perception anyway.

--
Willie Celebrating SIX MONTHS of uptime.
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html