market-farming - deer dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rbclo AT att.net
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: deer dogs
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:44:32 +0000

We use 4 dogs to control deer, rabbits, groundhogs and mice on about 45 acres
of orchard out of about 120 total acres. They are kept in the orchard using
the invisible fence system. We have two zones with two dogs per zone (a
spayed female and a neutered male). It took about one week to train the dogs
to obey the fence and about one month to train the deer that they would be
chased every time they enter a zone. The deer have learned to forage in an
unprotected area about 300 yards wide between the zones. Damage on newly
planted trees approached 100% before we installed the system. Control is
almost 100%. We still get some damage right along the edge of the woods.
Initial set up cost is high for the system we have--about $6000. We would
not
be able to start new blocks without it. We have used this method for about 5
yeats and would not be without it. The dogs will chew up an irrigation line
once in a while. We plan to expand our covered acreage in the near future
and
will use a system available through www.fosterandsmith.com. The control
panel
and collars are much less expensive but we will need to use a heavier guage
wire than they reccomend. Dog selection is easy==go to the pound and get the
dogs no one else wants--the 60-70 pound short hair that barks none stop and
jumps 4 feet into the air. We like hyper activity. Deer do not. This
method
of dog confinement is oked by the spca by the way.

Ben in Maryland

  • deer dogs, rbclo, 11/13/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: deer dogs, Willie McKemie, 11/13/2002