market-farming - RE: privet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: privet
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 14:06:34 -0500

Invasive?, I just walked a row of privet I planted in 1994, there was no sign
of spreading. The ground under the row had never been mowed, yet there were
no privet volunteers to be found. The plants do make small black berries and
they must be spread by birds, yet in the wild I dont see any privet. Native
woodlands here are blanketed with Laurel.

>Don't know about how it does elsewhere, but privet is an invasive species
>here in the South that displaces many native woodland species. Down here, it
>deserves to be planted with great concern for spreading -- if at all.

>Bill Shoemaker wrote:
>> Just curious. It must be effective if a number of people are doing it but
>what do you think is the benefit of having the privet hedge? Any downsides?

Privets make a very low cost fence and look good doing it, I find it useful
blocking out neighbors that I care not to look at. I don't know when planting
privet got started, I assume it may have been a state funded soil
conservation project many years ago. A mature hedge can take up about 8 feet
of ground. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/