market-farming - British Food Fortnight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: British Food Fortnight
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:56:24 -0600

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_697296.html?menu=

Stars support British Food Fortnight to help farmers

Vinnie Jones, Noel Edmonds and explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes are helping
launch British Food Fortnight.

Over the next two weeks shoppers will be encouraged to try the wide range
of locally produced British food and drink available.

A number of organisations have come together to promote the event,
including the Countryside Alliance, Countryside Agency and Fine Food
Retailers.

One of its aims is to encourage a "food culture" in Britain based around
regional produce.

Richard Burge, chief executive of the Countryside Alliance, said: "We want
to see a food revolution here in Britain based upon an increasing public
awareness of quality food, and an increasing desire to eat it.

"We want to get the British people re-connected with the food they eat."

Consumers will be told switching to a diet with more British food and drink
could also be healthier.

"Our farming is dying and our food culture is dominated by low-nutrition,
high-fat convenience junk food," said Mr Budge. "We don't teach our kids to
cook anymore and meal times often revolve around the TV dinner.

"This way of eating food is not only killing British agriculture, but it is
a time-bomb of bad health waiting to explode over future generations."

The campaign also has the support of football commentator Jimmy Hill, actor
Edward Fox, and chefs Antony Worrall Thompson and Ross Burden.

Story filed: 04:03 Saturday 26th October 2002

  • British Food Fortnight, GlobalCirclenet, 10/26/2002