market-farming - RE: Bell Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: Bell Peppers
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:44:41 -0400

Jackie, A 1000-2000+ bushel yield is average in this area due to the climate
and sandy soil, don't expect that much in other areas. We all sell peppers
through the wholesale market or to processers. Peppers are boxed in one and
one ninth waxed boxes, graded to size shape and color,we can't mix a four
lobed fruit with a three lobed etc. Wholesale price depends on national
supply, it changes by the hour it varys from $0-20 a box. Processors pay
about $2.00 a bushel but take everything down to the smallest nubbin. I have
two roadside markets where I sell roughly 100 bushels of mostly bell all
season. You don't sell alot at farmers markets unless you grow all
types...Goodluck in your new life...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

>Do you sell all of these at a farmers market? Do
>you sell by the bushel? How much money could one
>expect to make for this amount of produce? Thanks
>Jackie
>St. Joseph the Worker Farm
>NW Pa.

http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • Bell Peppers, jacklyn schillinger, 10/23/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: Bell Peppers, sunnfarm, 10/24/2002
    • RE: Bell Peppers, jacklyn schillinger, 10/24/2002