market-farming - Re: Pumpkin weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: Re: Pumpkin weeds
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:27:13 -0400

>> We use "Command" (1pt per acre) prior to planting then after planting we
>> used "Poast" (1.5pt per acre) after the plants were up, for grasses (NOT
>> for
>> broad leaf plants).

Command is a very good herbicide but I stopped using it because of the danger
of vapor drift. Many farmers around here got sued because of drift. Command
needs about 24 hours to bind to soil particles. The micro encapsulated
version is safer and easier to apply, it doesn't need incorperation.

Sandea also sold as Permit 75W its safer and easier to apply and only 1/2
ounce per acre was enough, its important to have good calibration because
applying more than 3/4 ounce can be harmful to the pumpkins. I applied sandea
the same day of seeding but I was told that such an application can harm
seedlings if a hard rain falls before germination. The recommended
application time is when pumpkins have 4-5 leaves. I have applied it as late
as when plants were 2 feet across, at this stage you will get a temporary
yellowing of leaves but they outgrow it. This allows time to cultivate and
sidedress, I am reluctant to disturb the soil after application,to avoid
bringing up untreated soil, but shallow cultivation 1" deep is no problem.

Sandea will kill most broadleaf weeds from seed to 1" tall, it will not kill
morning glory or bindweed but will stunt its growth, it also stunts thistle,
marginal control of jimsonweed, it completely controls yellow nutsedge and
does a good job on ragweed, pigweed and velvetleaf, less effective on
lambsquarters, it does not kill grasses.

Because Sandea is also registered for use in corn and because most pumpkin
growers also grow sweetcorn, my state has not permited its use on sweetcorn
as a way of slowing weed resistance. But because of the compatability you
could seed early sweetcorn and pumpkins in the same field the same day, apply
a tank mix of sandea and dual and get two crops from the same space.

Its used alot in my county on winter squash, melons, cucumbers, but not on
summer squash, I guess because of the 30 -57 day to harvest limitation.
Sandea is being used under plastic mulch to control nutsedge which if
untreated pokes right throw the plastic like its not there...

Ecologically; aside from not using any herbicide, it seems to me alot better
to use 1/2 OUNCE of sandea per acre then as in traditional melons and cukes
to apply 1.5 GALLONS of Prefar mixed with 1 GALLON of Alanap...Bob.

Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • Re: Pumpkin weeds, sunnfarm, 10/22/2002