market-farming - Re: Sustainable Agriculture and Common Asset Stewardship Success Stories

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Agriculture and Common Asset Stewardship Success Stories
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:43:19 -0700

Perhaps a straw poll would be in order.

While I can understand the value of local, state
or regional it really doesn't convey, much less
assure, that the locally grown products are
necessarily held to a higher standard nor is there
the implied commitment to any particular quality,
health, or environmental issues. Properly
communicated and with the proper logo and slogan
there could be value in a recognizable trademark
that conveys the message that I/WE care and that
we do adhere to a different set of standards.

With the N Y Times style national announcement
perhaps it's time for one of our own...the small
farmer, the local farmer, and the farmer united to
produce something better. I can locally produce
crops and meats, but that says nothing about what
I'm really about, i.e., producing to a higher
standard of excellence while using techniques that
assure safe and healthy foods and sustainability.

Can we as a group agree to a concept?
Can we agree to a slogan?
Is this worth communicating to the press and
media?

I vote that we take a stand and give it a shot.

Rainbows End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road
Stuart, Virginia 24171
276-694-4324