market-farming - RE: Jericho lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jericho lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:14:30 -0500

The Jericho lettuce we grew was started in flats and set out as 3-4 week old
transplants on drip tape on 12" centers. It was very dry here (South
Central Kentucky - just outside of Bowling Green) for most of the summer, so
that when we went to transplant, we would turn on the drip and let it run
about 15-20 minutes and then just push the transplant down in the wet spot.
After transplanting, we would run the drip irrigation about 6-8 hours and
then twice or 3 times per week. We grew Jericho along side of various
summer crisp and buttercrunches and Jericho was the only lettuce to reach a
good size without a bitter taste or bolting. A typical planting gave us a
7-10 day harvest window (which is outstanding!). Customer reaction was
excellent. When we would arrive at the farmers market, other vendors would
run over to grab lettuce out of the boxes as we were unpacking and setting
up. Always makes me feel good when other growers buy our produce.

We first heard about Jericho from David Redhege with the Kerr Center. He
told us he grew it successfully in Oklahoma (!) during the summer (!!) in
2001.

We do not use Jericho in our mesclun mix. Mesclun was grown under shade, on
drip. Typical days from seeding to harvest was 16-17 where as spring and
fall sowings are 21 days from seeding to harvest. We could only get 1
cutting from a mesclun seeding, whereas during the winter we get as many as
6 cuttings per seeding.

On a related Romaine lettuce issue: We have been growing Kalura as our
winter Romaine for 7 years and now cannot find seed for it. Does anyone
(like maybe Bob at Sunny Meadow Farm?) have any recommendations for a
Romaine that holds well in cold weather. We grow all winter long in
unheated high tunnels. Thanks!!

You probably have noticed that Alison types a lot faster than I do!
HOWEVER, I hoe faster!

Paul Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com