market-farming - RE: Liability insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Liability insurance
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:05:56 -0500

Adriana wrote:

> Farm Bureau was the first place I tried for product liability
> insurance here in Alabama and I struck out, It seems that in Alabama
> the Alabama Farmers Federation is serving in the role that the Farm
> Bureau serves in other states. Farm Bureau told me that they don't
> offer liability because of a settlement of a lawsuit with ALfa a
> number of years ago...weird.

It almost sounds like two mirror image state organizations with the Alfa
group and the FB group. Both started nearly at the same time ... around
1920/21.

The Alabama FB site does mention farmer comprehensive liability insurance,
so something doesn't seem to square with what they told you.

> Anyhow, when I bought my insurance and
> the required "membership" I never got any information about the
> Alabama Farmer's Federation and it's functions. Only as a result of
> the discussions on this list have I realized that Alfa is the
> surrogate for Farm Bureau in my state.

The Alfa organziation looks like a good farm organization based on their web
site information. They appear to be interested in many of the same agendas
as the Farm Bureau. They indicate that they are also involved in national
affairs with congress as well as the state. In fact, some of their structure
is the same as FB with a county structure, YF programs, Women's Division,
etc. Lots of emphasis on commodities.

Anyone else know the real background of the different farm organizations in
Alabama?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm