market-farming - FB

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: FB
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:53:42 -0400

Sunny Meadow Farm wrote:
Awhile back a friend of mine who's family farmed the same land for 300 years
wanted to remodel his rinky dink roadstand into a one million dollar mega
market, the town stopped him, the farm bureau membership got him his market
and in the process established a "right to farm law" that had lead to dozens
more similar markets, and the addition of nearly 3000 new small farms, and
the expansion of old farms in urban areas that were slated for
development...Who else would do this?

I have no knowledge of the National FB but I have to agree with above post
re our local FB. I am in Massachusetts where I would be willing to guess
there are few "large" farms. If I recall correctly a small farm is $250,000
gross or under. I assume there are farms in Ma that are larger than that.
But I'm not sure there is much "commodity" farming.
I am grateful to have an organization willing to insure direct sale farmers.
I am grateful they are at the Ma state house essentially protecting our
right to farm. We have to have someone allow us to build stands, cause a
bit of a smell, I said a bit :), etc.
I am very grateful that by law I can put a table on the street and sell
veggies granted I haven't done that much busy with CSA but I am glad I
could.
There are so many opposing forces to farming in a urban/suburban area I am
glad for a voice via FB. Beth

  • FB, Hook Family, 10/11/2002