market-farming - Re: Taming the seed demon

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Carl & Julie" <farmer AT mountainharvestorganic.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Taming the seed demon
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:47:01 -0400

Adriana,

>Keeping seeds orderly drives me nuts. I must have at least 100
varieties, in at least 20 different size packages ranging >from
envelopes, small, medium, large and in-between, zipper bags - small.
medium, large and in-between and cans. And
>then there are the extra-large bags for things like grains and peas.
Has anybody come up with a good way to "file" seeds?

We are a very small farm with 5 acres in production. (I am not familiar
with how larger farms organize their seeds.) We use a rubbermaid
container for each crop family. We place large labels, printed with our
computer, on the outside of each rubbermaid container listing the
varieties contained within. (This helps interns in knowing which
container should be brought to the field.) We have LARGE containers for
beans, peas and corn. We have smaller containers for the other crop
families, and normally each container of seeds coincides with our
rotation plan or planting schedule, so that when we are seeding we only
bring as few containers to the field as is possible. For example, we
have a container for brassicas, summer squash, winter squash,
nightshades, etc. These containers help keep the mice away from our
seeds during the season!!!

Best Regards,
Julie Mansfield at Mountain Harvest Organics
Hot Springs, NC, USA
http://www.MountainHarvestOrganic.com