market-farming - Re: BEST CSA/subscription meat WEB SITE NOMINATIONS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BEST CSA/subscription meat WEB SITE NOMINATIONS
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:01:00 -0400

>ideas as to how best to present who we are, give usable/valuable
information, and present >the whole concept of subscription/CSA vegetables
as well as subscription meats.

One of the best ways is to contact your local newspaper (s). For many areas
of the country, CSAs are still a novel idea & editors love introducing new
concepts to their readership. With the season winding down, now's the time
to do it. If possible, put in advertising the same day the article appears,
to include info on a shareholders meeting to get organized, and answer
questions. (One question---do you intend to be a "true" CSA, or
subscription?? There is a difference, and shareholders will need to know
what it all means.) See if the editor will allow your contact info to be
put at the bottom.

Then try to follow up that initial exposure by advertising several more
times following the article. Research shows it takes a consumer seeing an
ad several times (how many Jay Gee?? I seem to remember 3-5??) before they
respond. Try to get it in the same location.

When an article like this ran in my local paper, completely unaware to me,
and it in another state, I was inundated with calls & questions in the
following days. Though I didn't have a CSA, I was able to refer interested
parties to fellow farmers who did have them.

Your ads can also refer people to your website. And you're right about
wanting to keep it professional. I've seen some pretty crude sites out
there, too many bells, whistles, & loud colors to entice consumers. Make it
for your customers first, other farmers/newbies/wannabees later.

Good luck, and keep us informed ; ))

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC