market-farming - Hoop House Help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hoop House Help
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:54:01 -0500

Regards to the List:

We have a Hoop House partially done. It has its pvc "ribs" up and one
end framed in with wood. We have some white paint to paint the ribs to
protect them from the sun. We have the plastic to put on it. What do
we use to attach the plastic? I was planning to cut pieces of old
garden hose, slit them and fit them over the pvc pipe (I think I read
that somewhere here) with the plastic sandwiched between. Do you think
that would work ok? How do you cover the ends? We have a wooden frame
covered with hardware cloth that we used to dry garlic. Do you think
something like that would work ok for a hoop house door, only add a
layer of plastic?

Maybe I should wait and attend the Hoop House class at the Small Farm
Conference, but kinda wanted to get it done before it gets really cold.

We had our first frost last night. I covered a few tomato plants with a
quilt so we'll have a few more this year.

Marie in Missouri

  • Hoop House Help, Marie Kamphefner, 10/07/2002