market-farming - Re: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield, Missouri

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield, Missouri
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:45:24 -0500

Phil and others,

You hit a point that has been on my mind of late. I just want to think out
loud for a bit.

The general population vote the legislators into office based on media and
hear say information. I think that many farmers may actually pay more
attention to who they vote for than the average citizen. However many
farmers are influenced by corporate supporters such as Farm Bureau who
pretends to represent farmers in Washington.

After election, the constituents sit in the coffee shop and complain, but
seldom put pen to paper and send their elected official a letter voicing
their concerns. Legislators will listen to individual concerns. That is
part of their job.

Corporate lobbyist do as you stated, romance the legislators day in and day
out and have a way of persuading legislative support through an entangled
network of officials, administration, and industry affiliations. Much of
the "bargaining" done in committee takes these interests into account.

How does the farmer, in this case, become better represented on legislative
matters? As money and time is often our biggest constraint, the best way is
to either communicate directly with our elected officials or join support
groups that work to protect specific interests of farmers. It seems there
is an ever growing number of these groups popping up each day.

Many organizations are touting partnerships as a theme this year. Our
partners should be the consumers of our products. They are more likely to
become involved in legislative issues that most producers and many are
willing to fight for what they want.

Therefore as many have said here in the past, education (for both consumer
and producer) seems to be our strongest option in achieving real solutions.
Thoughts?

Rick Hopkins
President
American Pasturage, Inc.
P.O. Box 190
Marionville, MO 65705
(417) 258-2394
http://www.americanpasturage.com/
For other information concerning grass fed beef see http://www.eatwild.com
and http://www.westonaprice.org
For the American Homestead Foods Certification Program go to
http://www.homesteadfoods.com
Also check out the new Graziers Forum at: http://bbs.americanpasturage.com

All E-mails are scanned with Norton Anti Virus 2002 prior to sending.