market-farming - Millionaires diet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Millionaires diet
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:22:00 -0500

RDH wrote:
> As a family of three, we feed ourselves for $6 a day per person
> and we eat better than most of the white table cloth restaurants can
> provide. You cannot eat the current offerings of TV dinners for
> that price.

Recently we started realizing that we often are able to eat much higher
quality foods than a typical millionaire family. It is just not affordable
for even a millionaire (assets of a million) to be able to have access to
some of the freshest and highest quality food available on earth for any
price.

You would have to be a rather substantial multi-millionaire in order to
replicate our kind of food since it is not available to anyone at any price
unless they are right on the farm.

Dr. Artemis P. Simopoulos' book, The Omega Diet, which I feel is must
reading for anyone interested in diet and health, pointed out that although
she came from a more priveleged class on the Island of Crete, they were able
to eat very high quality fresh food everyday of the year since their climate
makes this possible. In fact, it was a shock to her when she came to the
U.S. to study for her MD, and came down for her first breakfast. To
paraphrase her thinking at the time ... how can the richest nation on earth,
have such crap food?

But for most people, low quality food and low expectations of food are
completely normal. You go to a ridiculously expensive restaurant and they
serve ... instant mashed potatoes.

But then I can think back nearly 40 years ago, when I about gagged on the
horrible crap instant mashed potato and "gravy" at a Kentucky Fried Chicken.
I got a rude awakening shortly after that when I heard more than one person
say "Isn't it amazing how delicious the potatoes and gravy are the KFC?"

At the moment I realized that something had really changed in peoples
perception of what quality food meant.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers
Viroqua, WI

www.mistyridgefarm.com

  • Millionaires diet, Rick Williams, 09/27/2002