market-farming - Clarification on bobm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Clarification on bobm
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:28:16 -0500

bobm had written:
> Rick .... you are absolutely correct.
>
> People such as myself who joined the list in
> hopes of obtaining and sharing market-farming
> information and techniques obviously have no
> place here....

Actually it is the other way around. The point is not that nuts and bolts
information should not be here, but that a wider spectrum of interest was
evidenced by the number of posts on wider issues.

> Individuals such as myself who am rather vociferously
> complain when the FAQ suggested posting range is so
> blatantly and totally ignored.

Here is the list FAQ "We hope to see discussions on appropriate scale
production methods and equipment, marketing and profitability, cropping
sequences, diversification, and sustainability, both of the land and of the
farm family. Other common topics include, working with extension agents,
private consultants, and fellow farmers, in other words, all those things
involved in making a living, and providing food and fiber from your small
acreage farm."

Maybe bobm has a very narrow concept of the above range of ideas, but it
pretty much covers A through Z. Especially, when sustainability is
mentioned. Understanding what is going on greatly impacts our ability to
make good decisions on our farm. We really do not live in a vacuum and the
big picture is as important as what seed to plant next spring.

If the list is changed to be more restrictive, my suggestion would be to
include language that global issues, outside of the farmstead should not be
discussed.

> To any list 'old-timers' who..according to Rick .. find my attitude
> soo offensive... I wont apologize for soo strongly suggesting
> the list parameters be adhered to ... I will simply ask any of those
> soo offended to re-read the list FAQ's.

I don't know about this list as I only discussed a list that I have intimate
knowledge of and what happened to that list when they tried to restrict
things that "some" people did not want discussed. And the result they got
was definitely not what they thought would happen.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers
Viroqua, WI

www.mistyridgefarm.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in
your philosophy."

Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

  • Clarification on bobm, Rick Williams, 09/01/2002