market-farming - RE: corn gluten meal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: corn gluten meal
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:41:46 -0500

We trialed it several years ago. It does work - for 5-6 weeks. It inhibits
germination of the weed seeds, so yes, it is pre-emergent only as far as I
know. It works best where soil goes through moist/dry/moist cycles. That
is, it doesn't work very well if soil stays either wet or dry. it also has
a fair amount of nitrogen fertilizer effect. That said - organic? Well,
unless the manufacturer can guarantee that it is made from GMO free corn
(almost an impossibility in the US), it might not fulfill the NOP
regulations - always look for the OMRI label if you are certified, or
planning to be certified. Application rate : I don't remember, it would be
on the bag, but I do remember that at the price of the product at, say,
Gardens Alive, it would be very expensive for a commercial operation, not
too bad for a home garden. It's great for broad leaves in lawns.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm