market-farming - Re: baby veggie varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: baby veggie varieties
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:21:24 -0700

Hi Adrianna,

You work with some high-end chefs among your clientele as I recall. I'd assess their interest in baby veggies before I started growing them. I've seen a shift over the last two years from the summer varieties to smaller winter roasting varieties so you'll want to do some sort of market survey before you start. Include who your competition is or might be in that survey also. Baby veggies are clearly a niche specialty item. They are highly labor intensive, extremely parishable, and require a different pricing structure than the larger product. The market can saturate quickly.

Now to the varieties - NOTE not all of these are adapted for all climates. I live and grow in California in a Mediterranean climate.

Greens - any picked small but MeiQing, a mini Pak Choi, is a classic; Tatsoi, a spoon cabbage is also good

Snow Peas - Dwarf Grey Sugar; Mange touts - Sugar snap

Tomatoes
Red and yellow current tomatoes sold on the stem
Sungold cherry tomatoes are frequently sold out here by baby veggie suppliers

Summer squash -"baby" may be sold with or without blossoms -
Sunburst yellow pattypan with green button,
Supersett or any other crookneck or straight neck with a precocious yellow gene so the stems are yellow and they get good color early
Peter Pan- a green patty pan,
Magda - a Middle Eastern cousa, pale green
Zephyr is new from Johnny's and I haven't grown it but a friend has it's a yellow and green precocious straight neck

Eggplant - White Egg, Turkish-Italian Orange, Ping Tung Long- a really skinny deep lavendar

Bell Peppers - Jingle Bells - mini red early

Root veggies -
Beets - Chioggia, White and Golden;
Carrots - Mokum and Nelson; Parmex - a round carrot; Kinbi - a yellow; Nutri-red
Onions - Cipollinis for roasting various varieties; Purplette and Snow Baby
Potatoes - Russian Banana - fingerling or Red Lasota at the creamer stage

I'm sure others can add to this list

--
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle

  • Re: baby veggie varieties, Marcie Rosenzweig, 08/26/2002