market-farming - Re: Hoophouse tomato varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hoophouse tomato varieties
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:00:03 -0500

We grow Bush Early Girl, Bush Celebrity and Gold Dust.  I really like the "bush" series.  Excellent fruit size with an average of 8-12 ounces, although Bush Celebrity gives us up to 1-1/2 pound tomatoes.  Also heavy yields, with an average of 10 to 12-1/2 pounds per plant over a 5 week harvest period.  Gold dust is a bit small and needs serious pruning to get bigger size fruit.  We've also had good success with Tropic.
We're growing in SC KY, zone 6.  Start our plants Jan 15th and plant in the hoophouse on March 15th.  Usual harvest begins the end of May through June.  We'll be planting tomatoes this weekend in the hoophouses for a target harvest at Thanksgiving.  We'll be experimenting with Carolina Gold next year.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com