market-farming - Re: grasshoppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: grasshoppers
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:13:43 -0700

Hi Adriana!

Nolo bait (Nomesia locustae) is the long term solution. This is a protozoan parasite of grasshoppers and Mormon crickets that attacks the fat stores. There are two caveats here - 1) it is most effective in the first and second instar (1/4-1/2 inch) 2) it's not an instant cure - 36 to 48 hours before the stop feeding. The good news is that grasshoppers are a bit canabalistic so they spread it around. Infested females lay infested eggs. I found I could get away with using it every second season and still had good control.

I suspect your hoppers are full grown and came in because someone mowed a field next to yours depriving the little eating machines of food and shelter. I dont know what your greenhouse set up is. If you can net off the basil so birds can't land on it but the hppers can get out you might try borrowing a couple of banty chickens for a couple of days. Short of that, I'm afraid you're going to spend a lot of time with a gloved hand and soapy water.

Wish I could help more,

Marcie
--
Marcie A. Rosenzweig