market-farming - washing lettuce!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: washing lettuce!
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:31:51 -0500

From Bob Meyer:

Here's a link to various tip sheets, including one on using mesh bags
(bottom left side of page).

I would NOT recommend running the bags in the wash cycle -- there is no
way to ensure the greens will stay in the bag -- and it would be pretty
rough. Use a regular dunk tank of cold water to remove field heat and
wash the greens. The spin cycle on the washing machine is only to "dry"
the greens. Other methods include hanging a laundry basket by long
strings (4 around the rim, and winding it up then letting it spin out on
its own (think like a kid on a swing).)

The original thread of this message talked about head lettuce. I'd like
to hear if anyone has tried the spin system with head lettuce. Most
growers I've talked with dunk in cold water and drip dry on racks
(bottom up) so the water will drain. I would think that for even loose
leaf head lettuce, the spin method might not be best. (could force water
into the bottom of the head).

http://www.bse.wisc.edu/hfhp/VeggyTipSheets.htm

bob meyer

  • washing lettuce!, Marie Kamphefner, 07/25/2002