market-farming - Surround wp

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Surround wp
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:31:12 -0500

Well folks, just used Surround wp (kaolin clay crop protectant) for the
first time. I must admit, it feels a little strange to be white washing
plants. We are trialing it as a control for squash bugs. We know it is
good for cucumber beetles on cucurbits, so it stands to reason it might also
work for one of our remaining insect problems - the squash bug. The plants
really look strange - probably most of our neighbors will think we have
finally gotten sane and given up that "organic" stuff. They look a lot like
most folks' potatoes when they dust with Sevin. We'll let you know how the
trial goes. I don't think we'll have much trouble with it washing off -
looks like the rain has quit for the duration.

Anyone else using Surround for veggies of any sort ? If so, we'd love to
hear experiences.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com