market-farming - Re: Replacing lawns...Ground covers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Replacing lawns...Ground covers?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:29:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/02 2:08:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, anhainer AT syr.edu writes:

I was more curious as too whether anyone has heard of a ground cover for the
average lawn.

I'm looking into this, too, partly because I'm tired of mowing and partly because mowers really pollute the environment.  Clover is supposed to be nice, but it does attract a lot of bees.  This is good for your crops, but if you have kids who like to play in the yard, it might not be so good for them.

If you do an online search, you will find many other options.  One is to plant a meadow of wildflowers.

One thing I have done is to mow for half the time I normally would and let the grass I don't get to in that time grow.  I've been rewarded with clumps of blue-eyed grass (actually an iris) and bluets and lots of insects for the birds.  The longer grass has also have provided safe haven for at least one little brown snake.  :-)  Something else, when the wind blows the grass looks really pretty!  Reminds me of a wheat field.

I don't think my neighbors share my appreciation for the longer grass.  ;-)

Marj