market-farming - Re: okra

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: okra
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:17:05 -0500

> What are you using for fertility in your okra plantings? Do you side
> dress throughout the season? Do you use foliars? If so, what, how
> much and how many, er, or how often?

For the past few years, I have been making an annual winter application
of turkey litter, maybe 1-2 tons/ac. No foliars. If the plants start
looking puny, I will make an application of nitrogen, usually urea,
46-0-0. Or maybe ammonium sulfate or nitrate. Ammonium sulfate if I
think I need to lower the pH. I don't believe I've ever made more than
one nitrogen application per season. Something like 50-100lb of N per
acre. Many times the okra follows tomatoes which are given around
400-500lb/ac of something like 16-16-16 preplant in addition to the
turkey litter and then additional N, so there is residual fertility.
I would like to be able to say that I do regular soil tests, but I
can't.

--
Willie
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

  • okra, Jim and Julie Vaughn, 06/06/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: okra, Willie McKemie, 06/06/2002
    • Re: okra, Allan Balliett, 06/07/2002
    • Re: okra, Willie McKemie, 06/07/2002