market-farming - Re: Late frost and protecting crops with HAY? ASAP response...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Late frost and protecting crops with HAY? ASAP response...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:00:27 -0500

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 08:22:35PM +0000, Ken Bezilla wrote:
> If you've got tall stuff, and you've got enough sprinklers, easiest thing
> is
> often to run sprinklers -- start at, say, 34 (before it drops below
> freezing) and keep the sprinkllers going until the air temperature's above
> freezing again in the morning.

Best to keep sprinkling until the ice is gone.

Many years ago, I save some tomatoes by covering with hay. Lotta work.
Broke some plants, but no frost damage.

Micro sprinklers cost about $1 each. You can run about 30 of them off
of a hose bib and cover a strip about 6-8 feet wide and about 250 feet
long. Such a set up goes up much faster than hay. Of course, you have
to HAVE the sprinklers and be ready to go.

--
Willie
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html