market-farming - Re: Horse Paddock

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie Gibson <willie.gibson AT uvm.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horse Paddock
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:56:02 -0400

Generally, in our part of the world, I think well-cured compost is the single best material for the natural approach.  If soil pH is low (maybe not on volcanic soil?), then calcium carbonate (calcitic or Ag lime) or dolomite (dolomitic or Hi-Mag lime) is applied.  A soil analysis, and perhaps plant tissue analyses ( I understand that intensive graziers in New Zealand use plant tissue analyses quite a bit), will be needed to discern just what nutrients are needed and in roughly what amounts.  There must be some kind of extension activity in Australia still?  Private laboratories for analyses are available?
Other likely materials are rock phosphate, colloidal phosphate, guano (bat dung, nitrogen source), potassium sulfate, potassium magnesium sulfate (langbenite or Sulpomag/K-Mag), glauconite or greensand (potassium), rock powders or dusts (check with local gravel/stone crushers or quarries), kelp meal, wood ash (potassium and micros), fish meal or emulsion, etc.
A good source of info for this is ATTRA.  The web site is www.attra.ncat.org.   Go to the publications section, and there is one titled: Alternative Soil Amendments.  they have lots of good info.

+Willie Gibson