market-farming - Re: Earth Quake

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Earth Quake
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:33:09 EDT

In February of last year we did just that during the 6.3 "Nisqually Quake"
centered about 20 miles south of us. We were in the garage/shop and ran
outside when the shaking began. It was awesome. The ground was weaving up
and down as was the Lexan cover on the attached greenhouse as were we as we
stood there. It seemed like we were rising and falling a fair amount, like
being on deck of a rolling ship, but it was probably just an inch or so.
Amazing experience! The noise was quite interesting too, as the Lexan and
buildings creaked and groaned and the earth made funny sounds. Yet nothing
really was substantially damaged on our farm.

Bob and Bonnie Gregson
Island Meadow Farm
Vashon Island, WA