market-farming - Re: market/farm stand

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ed Clifford" <hmdrawrod AT citlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market/farm stand
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:32:02 -0400

One of the first things you should do is a market survey. for a farm stand
it can be as simple as sitting in a chair/car and literally counting cars.
Do this on your road and adjoining routes. Concentrate roadside signs there.
You might also make notes as to where cars are from, (states), are they
coming to or from work, possible tradesmen going back and forth between
jobs.
People going on long trips are rarely going to load up on produce, they
are staying in motels, usually with no cooking facilities, but they are
going home. That's where the plates come in, a days drive...they may p/u for
the trip home. Where we are, a 1/4 mile up hill from a state highway, that's
a main route to Cooperstown, NY. Most of the people on this rout are from NY
and Montreal, Can., they are prime candidates. Tradesmen are prime
candidates for value added, salads, jellies, etc. Also they'll pick-up
something that looks good from road, i.e.. large display of corn, Ripe
tomatoes displayed in baskets.
Ed